Sunday 31 July 2011

Blackwork

Welcome to my little blog where I'm hoping to share my love of embroidery .
I guess I should start with a little bit about myself my names Dean I'm 39 years old I'm based in the U.K.
I know what most people will be thinking embroidery seems a very odd hobby for a guy I thought the same thing when someone recommend I give it ago i laughed but the truth is it's the most relaxing hobby I've ever had .
The great thing is for very little money you have a project that can last hours,days,weeks or months depending on how large or complicated you want to go and at the end of your hard work you have a beautiful piece of work you can display in your home or give as a gift.

The other great thing about embroidery is you can put as little or as much time into your project as you have to spare it's a great pick up and put down pastime that can go anywhere with you without any hassle.

I started out doing simple cross stitch then I was hooked watching the project take shape was so rewarding then I moved on to doing samplers which I really enjoyed taking ideas from the net and books that I had brought the first been Jane Greenoff's Antique samplers which was a fantastic buy and packed full of ideas and patterns.

I have now moved on to doing some Spanish blackwork which I'm enjoying so much the effects are fantastic and will impress your family and friends this work looks stunning simple black cotton on White or antique cream Aida here's something I'm working on at the moment .





This has taken me a number of weeks on my pick up and put down method doing a few hours ever day in the evening after I get home from work I will be posting on my progress on the rest of this project and throughout future ones thanks for checking out my blog and happy stitching guys
Dean

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dean, i think what you are doing is brilliant and look forward to following your progress. We have a guy in our craft group and he is great at stitch and collage. When he got married we all helped him make a silk painted hupa (think that's how you spell it), it's a kind of canopy which is part of the Jewish wedding ceremony. Great to hear from you. Best wishes Lynn in Lancashire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support Lynn and for stopping by and taking a look at my blog hope you found it ok I'm new to this but wanted somewhere I could express my enthusiasm for this fantastic pastime hence my own little blog hope you enjoy it .....Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dean! Thanks for finding me in the relm of blog! Can't wait to read all about your experiences... I love Blackwork so I'm pretty chuffed your into it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebecca thanks for checking out my blog , yes I'm totally hooked on it lol and it's great to meet other people that are to I'm hoping to finish this peice in the next few weeks so I can move onto another project was thinking of doing something from one of the books I've reviewed or from some new ones I'm waiting for can't wait to share it from start to finish ....Dean

    ReplyDelete